Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Organized Junk 

I decided to start blogging after reading a few other blogs and websites. I am a writer at heart, but not sure what keeps me from doing so.  

We are very tired of perpetually organizing junk around this house.  Always thought of as useful, or fearful of what will happen if we get rid of something that might be valuable. But not living how we would like to: simple, efficiently, gratefully, and with joy. 

The three oldest kids are - amazingly- with grandparents for one more week until I arrive. In the meantime, I am trying to get rid of stuff and reorganize what is important.  I finally got the bunks into their room and am hacking into the clothing and toys stored there. The smaller bedroom will be a study. 

What I want is for our "stuff" not to get in the way of "life" - being able to have the time and presence of mind to teach the kids how to care for themselves and the home, having the time to sing, talk, and play with them, having space for them to create and think, feeling a spatial sense of order that helps itself stay clean, and most of all creating a kind of thinking space where each person can focus on time, sequence, goals, and ideas.  

Praying to G-d I can do it, that I will listen to Him, my husband, my inner conscience, and not continue to organize junk but to actually get rid of it and create order out of our many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment